Monday, March 23, 2009

Ups and Downs

March 23, 2009
What an amazing week!!! Lots of things happened, good and bad. I guess I will give you the bad first. Sadly, my knee has given on me. I don’t know what happened but it's just been in pain constantly since last Wednesday, I've been taking ibuprofen(sp?) and doing everything I can to heal it. Trying to push through the pain, but my companion insisted I call Sister Hutchings (Mission President's wife), so I did. She said to go through the weekend to see how it was, and it's still in enormous pain...feels like someone’s trying to pull my knee out :(. So she called last night and she is making an appointment for me which should be sometime this week.
I've been trying everything to get it better, because I thought it was gonna just be like a day pain thing, like usually happens but nope, it's not going away...so I will keep you updated and I think Sis. Hutchings will keep you updated but I'm not sure. I guess we'll see what the Doc says....same pain I had when I first hurt it (3 years ago) but 15x worse....I'm pushing through though, and working hard.
Anyways, I have had a really good week!!! I witnessed a miracle!! Tuesday and Wednesday we went on exchanges with the spanish elders. That was fun. They are traveling assistants. I went with Elder Patterson...We had a really good two days, met alot of new people and taught a ton. Got my first door slam in my face too.
Okay so for the miracle! We have received this guys information from HQ in Utah, and have been in contact with him for about 3 weeks now. His name is Jeff by the way. Elder Patterson and I went to visit him on Wednesday for a little bit. We didn't teach anything then because he was on his way out, but he is a really awesome guy, and super friendly. He has HIV (from a blood transfusion the hospital gave him) and leukemia from smoking forever (but he quit a while ago). He has a hard time holding things with his hands, can't see in color and throws up a lot.

So when Elder Ragle and I went to see him on Thursday he was having a really difficult time, he has like no money and little with him. He was divorced a while back. His wife and daughter stayed down in Alabama and he stayed here in TN. His daughter also has luekemia and has been in the hospital for a while. When we went to go see Jeff her kidneys started to fail on her so he was really worried about her and depressed, and trying to get down there to see his daughter. So we asked him if he would like a blessing. He said yes. We explained a little bit about what the priesthood is and what blessings can do and if you had faith that you will be comforted. So, I was able to give him a blessing...It was amazing, you could feel the spirit so strong. We then taught him the first lesson which is on the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We gave him a Book of Mormon and some particular scriptures to read.

We then came back on Friday to see how he was doing before he left. He said to us....Ever since ya'll gave me that blessing yesterday I can see in color, my hands don't shake, and I haven't thrown up since! He was all excited and gave us hugs and all. I was like wo, did I do that? Well the Lord did it through me...he comforted him and he is being healed, slowly but surely. He left for Alabama and got back yesterday morning about 4:30. He called us when he got back, and that was fun waking up that early but it was all good because he wanted to go to church with us. During church he got a message about his daughter, that her kidneys have failed almost completely so they were going to do surgery. He was really, really heartbroken and having a tough time, so we taught him the Plan of Salvation, and he understood it completely. It brought such comfort to him. It was the best lesson I think we have ever done. He is in Alabama right now, but should be back in town tomorrow night. We plan on baptizing him this weekend, he is ready. We should have two baptisms this weekend!! Actually three because there is an 8yr old being baptized on Sunday! Anyways so that's that. It was an amazing experience, best yet.

Keep up the good work

Have faith, be obedient and work hard!

Love yall
Elder Edgell

Oh and the sister I told you about last time hasn't smoked since last Thursday!!!!!! She’s grumpy from it, but doing it!!





What's a Gator fan doing amidst all that Vol stuff? Only in
Tennessee. :-)

No comments: